This statistic highlights AMC’s Number of Theaters Operated worldwide, from Q1 2016 onwards.
AMC’s Number of Theaters Operated
||Number of Theaters Operated
(All figures in actual units)
- As of Q1 2016, AMC operated 385 theaters. In the next two quarters, AMC added 1 theater in each quarter. However, in 2016, AMC acquired Odeon Cinemas, UCL Cinemas, and Carmike Cinemas. Therefore, AMC’s operated theaters increased to 906 in Q4 2016. As a result of this acquisition, AMC Entertainment Holding became the largest movie theater chain in the world.
- At its peak in Q1 2017, AMC operated a total of 1,027 theaters worldwide. Meanwhile, from Q2 2017 to Q4 2019, AMC consistently operated around 1000 theaters in each quarter. Theaters operated by AMC increased by 11.92% in Q4 2017.
- The number of theaters operated by AMC was 1,006 and 1,004 in FY 2018 and 2019 respectively. In Q4 2020, the number of theaters operated by AMC dropped to 503 as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. AMC’s operations had to be temporarily halted. Due to significant delay caused by an increase in Covid cases, movie producers decided to release their content on OTT platforms. AMC’s operations dropped by 49.90% in Q4 2020. The suspension of operations led to a huge decline in AMC’s revenue. Similarly, AMC experienced a decline in attendance of more than 85% in national as well as international markets after the operations resumed.
- In January 2021, Silver Lake converted $600 million debt holding in AMC to equity shares at the rate of $13.51 per share. Further, in February 2021, the Wanda group’s holding diluted due to AMC’s new financing. The Wanda Group exercised its rights by converting its Class B common into Class A common stock.
- As of 31st December 2020, AMC operated a total of 590 theaters with 7,668 screens across 45 cities of the United States. Meanwhile, in International markets, AMC operated 360 theaters with 2,875 screens across 17 countries. Moreover, AMC manages and has a partial ownership interest in 70 theaters. Out of these 70 theaters, 63 are operated internationally while 7 theaters are operated in the U.S. markets.
- As of Q1 2021, AMC is operating a total of 682 theaters nationally and internationally.
- In the first week of June 2021, AMC’s stock price almost doubled in a single day. AMC’s share prices are rising due to the short squeeze in the market. It occurs when many investors bet that its price will go down, but the stock price shoots up instead.
AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc. is the largest movie theater chain in the world. It was founded in 1920 in Kansas City, Missouri. AMC is listed on New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and traded under the symbol of AMC. AMC is into the theatrical exhibition business. AMC’s journey in international markets started after the big acquisition in 2016. AMC aims in delivering the best-in-person experience at AMC theaters. Similarly, they want to transform AMC into a leader in customer engagement around the world. The company is also planning to close its under-performing theaters. Food and beverages are the second-largest sources of revenue for AMC. Therefore, they offer different variety of food items in different locations based on local preferences. As of 31st December 2020, AMC employed around 25,019 employees. The number of employees was drastically reduced due to Covid-19.
Did you like AMC’s Number of Theaters Operated statistic?
Access thousands of more such key performance indicator data points, on listed companies, with Business Quant.
You can also get started for free.